Archive pages forever and make them searchable, too
The new Diigo Snapshot is a very powerful feature that you have got to give it a try!
When you bookmark a page to Diigo, you can choose to upload the page and capture a snapshot, even if it is dynamic or hidden behind the password protection. If you are interested in seeing how a page changes over time, you can also capture multiple versions of the same URL at different times, ie. snapshots, of moments in time.
- Bookmark and capture a snapshot of a page — including dynamic and password-protected content.
- Archive multiple versions of the same URL ~ snapshots, of moments in time.
- Snapshot available in both webpage (html) and screenshot (picture) formats.
- Other online file formats such as PDF, Word (under IE browser), etc can also be archived.
- Diigo 4.0 now enables you to search your entire Library, including archived items
Snapshot ~ it is best suited for important or temporary / dynamic pages that you really want to keep track of, and also for pages that are behind password. Archiving dynamic web pages makes bookmarking so much more useful. For example, you can now archive your online receipts, or that promotion ad you see. Or, you can archive your stock portfolio periodically so you can easily see how it evolved over time.
To try it, all you need to do is to check “snapshot” box when you add a bookmark via Diigo’s Firefox or IE toolbar:
Once saved, you should see the snapshot in your library within seconds to few minutes or so. When you see the snapshot camera icon appears, click it to view the snapshot page:
The side panel will show you the snapshot history sorted by date and format type:
Check it out and see how easy it is to build your own “personal wayback machine”, the way you want it 🙂