With Version 5.0, Diigo moves one step further towards its vision of providing the best cloud-based information management service that enables users to collect, highlight, access and share a variety of information, on a variety of devices.
Since Diigo started as a social bookmarking service four years ago, a major update was released every year for the past four years, each taking Diigo to a new height in terms of enhancing productivity for collecting and consuming digital information. The following chart illustrates the evolution of Diigo very succinctly:
So, what’s new with Diigo 5.0?
- Diigo 5.0 enables the collection and annotation of screenshots and pictures: check out the new Diigo toolbars’ Capture feature & cool new Chrome extension >> “Awesome Screenshot: Capture & Annotate by Diigo
- Diigo 5.0 also enables “Notes”, which is best suited for quick personal memos (via website & new Android app)
- A new Android phone application called “Diigo Power Note” is being released as a part of Diigo 5.0, which enables Android phone users to collect, organize, sync and access a variety of information such as bookmarks, notes, and pictures. So you can jot down your ideas and thoughts, and take pictures of things you like to be reminded to buy or research later, or business cards handed to you. With Diigo Power Note, you literally have a photographic memory!
- Web Highlighter for iPad Safari is being released as part of Diigo 5.0, which enables you to highlight and annotate webpages, using fingers, in iPad Safari, just as you can with ebooks on iBooks or Kindle.
- As with each previous major release, Diigo 5.0 has substantially revamped the user interface for improved look & feel and usability.
There is a lot to explore in the new Diigo. So make sure you check out our new video overview shown above, install the latest toolbar & Chrome extension, try out our new apps on Android, iPad & iPhone, and of course, delve into the new site. Our new HELP is still under active construction. If you’d like to help, love to hear from you, or come join us in our user forum. Ah, bugs reporting – we’ve tried hard to test through the system as thoroughly as possible. Please do let us know if we have overlooked something. Also, let us know your first impression, likes / dislikes, feedback and suggestion. If you like what you see, make sure to help us spread the word!
And of course, last but not least, the entire Diigo team would like to express our most sincere thanks to each and every one of our users and fans, especially those who helped so much in our testing phase, for your time, help, encouragement, suggestions, ideas, and yes, bug reports to help us shape Diigo where it is today.
Thank you, Diigo Community, for your continued support to help us make Diigo better and better!
That’s it for now. Enjoy!
The entire Diigo team